National Workplace Wellness Week
In 2008, the House and Senate passed accompanying resolutions recognizing the importance of workplace wellness. The U.S. Workplace Wellness Alliance was instrumental in the passage of these resolutions. The resolution, whch passed the House recognizes the first full week of April as "National Workplace Wellness Week." Below are links to the House and Senate resolutions, Alliance activities, and tools/resources that your business may find useful.
Letter from President Barack Obama Recognizing National Workplace Wellness Week
Capitol Hill Event- April 2, 2009
"Healthy Living for a Healthy Workforce"
Intersection of First St. and East Capitol St.- U.S. Capitol Visitors Center
Senate Visitors Center 215
Press Event: 12-1 PM ET
To see video of the event, please click here: http://www.prevent.org/content/view/248
- Michael Barry, CAE, Executive Director, American College of Preventive Medicine
- Janet Boyd, Director of Government Relations, Tax & Benefits, The Dow Chemical Company
- Candace DeMatteis, Policy Director, Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease
- Randel Johnson, Vice President, Labor, Immigration & Employee Benefits, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Garry Lindsay, Managing Senior Fellow & Senior Program Officer, Partnership for Prevention
- Sue Nelson, Vice President, Federal Advocacy, American Heart Association
- Craig Thorne, MD, MPH, Medical Director, Erickson Retirement Communities
Featuring U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX), Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), and Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R- CA).
Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) and Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) join forces in introducing the "Healthy Workforce Act of 2009."
Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) discusses the importance of workplace wellness programs as Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) listens, and Rep. Mary Bono-Mack (R-CA) applauds.
Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) remarks about the"Healthy Workforce Act", as Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) listens.
Congressional Resolutions and Alliance Activities
H. Con. Res. 405
Representatives Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (D-SD) and Charles W. Boustany, Jr. (R-LA)
S Res. 673
Senators Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Gordon Smith (R-OR)
- Letter to Representatives Herseth-Sandlin (D-SD) and Boustany (R-LA) Expressing Support for House Concurrent Resolution 405, Recognizing the First Week of April as "Workplace Wellness Week".
- Dear Colleague Letter Supporting House Concurrent Resolution 405
- Letter from Representatives Herseth Sandlin and Boustany to President Obama Expressing Support for Presidential Proclamation to Accompany Workplace Wellness Week
- Letter to President Obama Expressing Support for Presidential Proclamation